History

  • The Giant Viaduct

    In the course of a lifetime, we visit countless sites and locations, many of which fade in our memory, however, not in this case. Visitors from the North and the South will remember Altenbeken, if they ever travelled across the 'Gate to the Egge Mountains' by rail.

  • The Castle Ruins and the Spring of the River Lippe

    The ruins of the Castle, a landmark of Bad Lippspringe, are the remains of a ...

  • The Black Death Cemetery at Wünnenberg-Leiberg

    In 1635, 400 victims of the Plague were laid to rest in this place. According to history ...

  • The Gellinghausen Hill Fort

    The hill fort or ‘barrow fort’ is situated high above the River Altenau in Borchen-Gellinghausen (Etteln); it is one of the best-preserved forts throughout Westphalia. The fort comprises of a main and an advance fort, which are surrounded by mighty walls up to 5m high and deep ditches.

  • The Mallinckrodthof at Borchen

    The impressive Tudor style building of the Mallinckrodthof farm in Nordborchen was built in the 17th Century. Its quarrystone walled moat is fed by natural springs. One of the features in the grounds of the Mallinckrodt farm is ‘Annette’s Little Temple’, which is named after the Poet, Annette von Droste-Hülshoff. It is said that she compiled part of her famous book ‘Judenbuche’ (The Jews’ Beech) here.

  • 'Ringelstein' Castle Ruins

    Situated high above the River Alme lies the village of Harth with its ruined Castle 'Ringelstein'. The time of the castle's construction is uncertain. It was first mentioned in a document dating back to 1409. In ancient literature, the castle is mentioned as a hunting lodge belonging to 'the Noblemen of Büren' and therefore must have been built around the year 1200.

  • The Valley of Peace

    Surrounded by mighty trees far away from the traffic, to the south of the village of Wewelsburg lies the "Valley of Peace". This is the home of the former monastic complex of 'Böddeken'. The history of the monastery and the settlement goes back to 836 / 837, when the aristocrat 'Meinolf' founded the 'Böddeken' convent in the form of a bestowment.

  • The Roman Camp

    In the winter of the year 4 – 5 A.D. the Romans erected a fortified camp at Delbrück-Anreppen. With an area of approximately 23 hectares, the camp apparently accommodated up to 6,000 soldiers.

  • The Church Square

    Walking toward the leaning tower and down one of the alley-ways you will reach the historic church square and see a unique ensemble of Tudor-style houses hundreds of years old and built around the catholic community church, St. John the Baptist. The nostalgic cobbles and the trees complete this unique church square. Numerous benches invite visitors to take a rest and enjoy the scene.

  • The OWL Local Heritage Centre at Hövelhof

    A traditional farmhouse built at about 1900 and a newly built House of Historic Crafts are ...

  • The Former Hunting Lodge of the Prince Bishop

    The origin of the Community of Hövelhof is closely linked to the ‘Hövelhof’, which as the first ...

  • The Town Settlement at Blankenrode

    The former Town Castle 'Blankenrode' is of special archaeological significance, historians refer to the old Blankenrode as 'the most significant town settlement in Central Europe'. It was built in the middle of the 13th Century on the crest of the southern 'Egge' mountain range and as a border fortification of 'Blankenrode'.

  • The Spieker at Atteln

    The Spieker at Atteln is a renovated Tudor style building from the 'Weser- Renaissance', it was built in 1588 and is one of the most well known listed buildings in the 'Paderborner Land'.

  • Schloß Neuhaus and its Museums

    Schloß Neuhaus, the former residence of the Prince Bishops of Paderborn, is deemed to be one of the most significant early examples of the Weser-Renaissance in this area and is therefore one of the main attractions in the Paderborner Land.

  • The Historic Town Hall

    Paderborn Town Hall is one of the landmarks of the 'Paderborner Land'. It was built in the 17th Century in the style of the 'Weser-Renaissance'. The splendid façade comprises three gables; one main and two smaller gables, which protrude from the lateral front sections of the building.

  • The Imperial Palace and the Chapel of Bartholomew

    On stepping out of the red gate of the Cathedral into the open, you will see the site of the ...

  • Dreckburg

    Südlich der B 1, östlich vor den Toren der Stadt Salzkotten, ist die mächtige Turmburg nicht zu übersehen.

  • Gradierwerk

    Einen der Geschichte der Stadt Salzkotten und ihrer Salzgewinnung unmittelbar verbundenen Anziehungspunkt bildet das über 50 m lange Gradierwerk, das dieStadt Salzkotten

  • The Wewelsburg Castle

    Wewelsburg Castle was built between 1603 to 1609 in the style of the Weser- Renaissance; it served as a second residence for the ...

 

Telefon

phoneNumber

search

socialmedia

Facebook Twitter GooglePlus Instagram